Monday, October 27, 2008

Iraq Border Blast

I recently read an article on the new york times website concerning the recent activity on the Iraq-Syria border. It says that U.S. military operations have gone into Syrian land, and both Syria and Iran condemn this. The Syrian news channel reported an attack of four US helicopters on a civillian building that was under construction, resulting in eight deaths. The US confirmed a special operations mission in the area, but would give no more details. Syrian officials are calling this "criminal and terrorist aggression" and call it "a war crime". I do agree that it could be a war crime because I'm pretty sure this whole debacle we are in right now with Iraq does not include going into Syria unannounced and killing innocent civillians. I wouldn't go insofar as calling it a terroristic threat, but they put up a pretty good point about how it doesn't seem like a mistake. I think the US really has to watch their boundaries in Iraq because we already have enough enemies, and one war is enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/world/middleeast/28syria.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

3 comments:

Callan B. said...

I definitely agree that we need to be careful about where we invade. However, I don't think that the article is enough to judge the US army by. It was written by a country that isn't very fond of us at the moment, so you don't know if it is exactly accurate. Plus I truly don't think that the military would invade someplace where their would be civilian casualties unless it was absolutely necessary.

PATRICK M. said...

I think that they did the right thing.The reason I think it was ok what we did was because we had evidence that an al-Quaida leader(Al-Mazidith) was near the syrian-Iraqi border. He smuggled extremists into Iraq that were responsible for alot of the killings of Iraqis and u.s. forces. Now I'm not saying that if we get intel on terroist sitting in other countries that we should just go in and launch a attack, no we should wait see if the terrorist are doing any thing to the situation in Irag and if they are then we can start plotting an attack on them. I think what the CIA did was right and that there will less violence in Iraq.

Erik P. said...

I think that people are really ignorant of how many people are really dying in our wars. It isn't just Americans. No, it includes normal people who live in those countries. If anyone remembers the Blackwater scandal then you know how bad we as the United States can treat the lives of innocent people in foreign countries.